A vast island continent situated south of Indonesia and Papua New Guinea, Australia lies between the Pacific and Indian Oceans. The world's sixth-largest country, Australia measures some 4,000km east to west and 3,200km north to south. Much of the interior of the country is flat, barren and sparsely populated. The bulk of the population lives on the narrow, fertile eastern coastal plain and on the southeastern coast. The country's size means there's a lot of climatic variation, which also means that any time is a good time to be somewhere in Australia.
The only country that is also a continent, Australia is situated in the Southern Hemisphere in the south-west Pacific Ocean. New Zealand lies to the east, about a three hour flight away.
The Population over 22.5 million
Australia is divided in the following 6 states and 2 territories:
- Western Australia – (capital city Perth )
- Queensland – ( Capital city Brisbane )
- New South Wales – (Capital city Sydney
- Victoria – (capital city Melbourne )
- Tasmania – ( Hobart )
- Australian Capital territory ( capital city Canberra )
- North Territory ( capital city Darwin )
- South Territory ( capital city Adelaide )
Nearly a third of Australia is in the tropics and the rest is in the temperate zone. The coldest areas are in the south-eastern corner of the mainland and Tasmania.
Seasons in Australia
Summer December – February
Autumn March – May
Winter June – August
Spring September – November